Judy Walston, The Artist

My blog will share the stories behind my pencil portrait sketches, my surreal art, architectural paintings, art seascapes, wall murals, one of a kind unique sculptures, and my favorite, drawing and painting of hands. I will offer tips and help in constructing an oversized canvas. I work in a variety of mediums as in oil, graphite, pastel, colored pencils, ink, acrylic, clay and many other special projects. In addition to my art, I will offer help with unique faux finishes on interior walls.

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Black History drawing





So many black Americans have dedicated their lives, which has made a difference in our world as we see it today. By learning more about their struggles, understanding our past history, we realize that they created a foundation for our future.
I wanted to do a drawing ... representing some of our famous black Americans.
There were so many that I admire, for example...Harriet Tubman, known as "Moses". She was a legend in her own time. She lead approximately 300 slaves to freedom.

Then there was George Washington Carver. He became the best known agricultural scientists of his generation. Like many others, he was born into slavery. When he was six weeks old, he and his mother were kidnapped by slave raiders. He was ransomed back by a $300 prize horse. He worked hard as a boy and finally made his way to be the first to enroll in Simpson College in Indianola, Iowa.

Carver encourged farmers to grow peanuts and sweet potatoes. In order to make these more profitable, he did extensive research, producing more than 300 derivative products from it.
I chose charcoal and used a tinted paper for the drawing.

I found an old frame and with a little time...created a legacy of art that was appreciated by others.
It is my contribution for Black History Month.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home